Landis Presbyterian is currently a Mission Work of the Presbytery of the Southeast working towards becoming what is referred to as a particular Church with its own Pastor and Officers. We seek in the near future to call an Evangelist who will serve for four years with the purpose of helping the Church grow to the point to where we call a Pastor, elect Elders and Deacons and become a particular Church.
Our mission is to glorify God in worship of him by loving him with all our heart and with all our soul and with all our strength and with all our mind and to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. Luke 10:27
We are a confessional, reformed, and evangelistic church. A confessional church believes the Bible is clear and can be summarized in a statement of doctrine, and we subscribe to a written confession of faith. A reformed church holds to beliefs held by faithful believers since the early church and more clearly articulated during the Protestant Reformation. An evangelistic church is a church that proclaims and seeks to live by the gospel (the good news) of Jesus Christ, the only savior of sinners.
- The Bible is the infallible and inerrant word of God.
- There is one, eternal, unchanging God who is holy, sovereign, and the creator of heaven and earth. This one God eternally exists in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—they are to be equally loved, honored, and adored.
- God created mankind, male and female, morally upright and in his image to know him, to love, and serve him.
- Mankind fell from this original condition through disobedience. Adam represented the whole human race, so all his natural descendants became guilty of his sin and are born into the same state of sin and death. All people are sinners and sin against God daily in thoughts, words, and deeds.
- Sin against God is a great evil and is worthy of the supreme penalty—eternal punishment of body and soul.
- God, out of the riches of his grace and mercy, provided salvation for his people through a redeemer, Jesus Christ. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
- Jesus is the eternal Son of God who, in the fullness of time, humbled himself by taking to himself a human nature and was born of a virgin. He lived a sinless life and offered himself at the cross to make a full satisfaction for the sins of his people.
- Jesus rose from the dead and now sits at the right hand of God the Father, interceding for his people, until he comes again to judge the living and the dead.
- Salvation is a gift of God’s grace alone through the work of the Holy Spirit, who enables the guilty sinner to repent of his sins and to rely on Jesus Christ alone for a right standing with God.
- The Holy Spirit works faith in us through the hearing of God’s word and the gospel.
Landis Presbyterian, a mission work of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, holds to the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms as our doctrinal statement. We believe this document is a faithful summary of the theological truths taught in the Holy Scripture. The Westminster Confession was authored in the 1640s by an assembly of delegates from several English and Scottish protestant denominations. With some minor revisions, the Westminster Confession remains the hallmark statement of faith for Presbyterian and Reformed churches around the world. You can read more about the Reformed Faith in the booklet What is the Reformed Faith?